The Schönbrunn palace

One of Vienna’s most important attractions

The largest part of the palace was built during the time of Empress Maria Theresia. Yet, the history of this building goes back to the 14th century, when it was used as a hunting lodge by Emperor Maximilian.

The name of the palace "Schönbrunn" originated from about this time, when Emperor Matthias was out hunting and his dog discovered a spring, after which the place was rechristened "Schöner Brunnen" ("Beautiful Spring"). The spring was later enclosed by Empress Maria Theresia and a beautiful well house was built there with the well stone and monogram of Emperor Matthias, which you can still visit in the park of Schönbrunn today.

  • Schloss Schönbrunn in Wien
  • Schloss Schönbrunn in Wien
  • Schloss Schönbrunn bei Nacht
  • Spiegelsaal im Schloss Schönbrunn

Hotel Rosner
A-3003 Gablitz
Linzerstraße 95
Tel.: +43 2231 633 30

Mobil: +43 699 1307 11 80

Spring in Vienna Spring in Vienna

Enjoy the atmosphere of a cultural capital.Visit all the sights of the former...